A five-year-old girl has died at her grandmother's home after suffering an accidental overdose from cough medicine, according to medical examiners.
La Plata County Coroner Carol Huser says Kimber Michelle Brown, of Hermosa, Colorado, had almost two-and-a-half times the upper limit of dextromethorphan, a drug found in cough and cold suppressants.
The girl also had above therapeutic levels of Cetirizine, another drug used to treat colds or allergy symptoms.
Tragic: Kimber Michelle Brown, five, died of an accidental overdose on February 12
In an autopsy report obtained by The Durango Herald, Dr Huser said that Kimber died on February 12 after her maternal grandmother, Linda Sheets, 59, had been treating her for flu-like symptoms.
Dr Huser wrote: 'In my opinion, the combination of these drugs - which were the ingredients of the over-the-counter medications with which Kimber was being treated - caused her death.'
Caretaker: Linda Sheets, 59, was treating her granddaughter, Kimber, for flulike symptoms
The District Attorney's Office is reviewing the case to determine if criminal charges should be filed, according to the report.
The coroner has ruled the death an accident.
Kimber, the daughter of Raelyn Anderson-Brown and Mike Brown, an investigator with the La Plata County Sheriff's Office, had 96 nanograms per millilitre of dextromethorphan in her blood, according to the toxicology report.
The upper limit for adults at 40 ng/ml.
The girl also had 490 ng/ml of Cetirizine, compared to a normal dosage of between 271 and 352 ng/ml, which proved a lethal combination for the little girl who weighed just 46lb.
Dr Huser told the Herald Kimber had been complaining of leg pain, cramps and muscle spasms in the hours before her death - all signs of drug toxicity as the body's systems begin to shut down.
She advised parents and caretakers to use extra precaution when administering over-the-counter drugs to children.
'You have to treat drugs with respect. In our society in general, people rely on drugs to a greater degree than I think is wise,' the coroner said.
Innocent: The coroner says Kimber, pictured, had nearly two-and-a-half times the limit of an over-the-counter drug commonly used to treat coughs
'This is just a terrible situation for so many people.'
Dr Huser acknowledged it was possible Kimber self-administered more than the recommended dosage, or than Ms Sheets had inaccurately measured it.
Police said they have yet to find evidence of criminal conduct. Officials declined to issue further comment citing an ongoing investigation.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2130349/Kimber-Michelle-Brown-Girl-5-dies-overdose-COUGH-MEDICINE-taking-just-twice-recommended-dose.html#ixzz1sDopirmp