A mother who gave birth to a baby boy by C-section and was subsequently released from hospital died three days later from an apparent drug overdose.
Stephanie Maylee, 25, from Missouri, returned to Rolla Hospital to visit her son Blake who had been kept in for observation due to an undisclosed health problem.
Her body was found in the hospitality room on Monday morning and an autopsy revealed she died of an apparent self-induced prescription drugs overdose.
It is unclear whether it was accidental or on purpose.
Pain medication is sometimes given to new mothers who have had cesarean sections.
The hospital's CEO John Denbo says the mother gave birth to her newborn son on Friday, but had since been released from the hospital.
Scroll down for video
Scene: Rolla Hospital in Missouri is conducting an investigation into how the 25-year-old died from an overdose in their 'hospitality room'
Excited mother: Stephanie posted pictures of her scan on her Facebook page where she counted down the weeks until he was born
He said: 'O.B.'s a happy place generally speaking and this is not a happy event. This is a very tragic event.
Hospital CEO: John Denbo says the mother gave birth to her newborn son on Friday, but had since been released from the hospital
'There apparently had been some discussion, "Well, you can't take your baby home with you yet, your baby's not ready to go home, but you can come back and visit".'
She was last seen by hospital staff at 2.30am on Monday. Her body was found seven hours later.
Phelps County Coroner is still waiting for toxicology results to come back. Foul play is not suspected.
Her son Blake, is still in hospital as child services try to decide who will gain custody.
The baby's grandparents are thought to be seeking custody.
The hospital has no record of the baby's father and doesn't recall anyone being with Maylee while she was a patient.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2101684/Mother-dies-hospital-prescription-drug-overdose-just-days-giving-birth-C-section.html#ixzz1mTwVH7hE