Home » » Mother rushed to hospital with severe back pain discovers she is PREGNANT - and gives birth 24 hours later

Mother rushed to hospital with severe back pain discovers she is PREGNANT - and gives birth 24 hours later

  • WWW.HEALTHYBARN.COM
  • Kelly Gadsby, from Tamworth, was on the pill and had periods as normal
  • She had no signs of pregnancy and friends told her she looked slimmer
  • Partner suffers from Chron's disease and was told he may never conceive


  •  

    A mother who was rushed to hospital with severe back ache was stunned to discover she was actually nine months' pregnant. 
    Kelly Gadsby, from Tamworth, woke up early one morning in agony, having worked a long shift as an assistant bar manager the day before.
    Within 24 hours, she had become a mother for the second time after the arrival of her son Frankie.
    Shock: Kelly Gadsby was suffering from extreme back pain and had no idea she was pregnant. Her son Frankie was born just hours later
    Shock: Kelly Gadsby was suffering from extreme back pain and had no idea she was pregnant. Her son Frankie was born just hours later
    Ms Gadsby had been taking the pill daily and had periods as normal, but as her agony increased en-route to hospital, she claims noticed a bump appear on her stomach. 
    Baffled doctors decided to give her a pregnancy test, which came back positive. Frankie was born just hours later, weighing 8lb 5oz.
    Ms Gadsby says she had no idea she was pregnant,. In fact, friends had even told her she had lost weight. Alongside working 14-hour shifts, she had fallen down the stairs at her home three months before. 
    She said: 'It's come as just a little bit of a shock, to say the least.
    Ms Gadsby had been taking the pill daily and had periods as normal, but as her agony increased en-route to hospital, she claims noticed a bump appear on her stomach
    Ms Gadsby had been taking the pill daily and had periods as normal, but as her agony increased en-route to hospital, she claims noticed a bump appear on her stomach
    'I think the biggest surprise is that I didn't have a clue I was pregnant. I felt nothing at all, there was no morning sickness and I was just getting along with work and everything else.
    'For a few days I felt extremely tired, but I put it down to working 40 to 50 hours a week.'
     

    After finishing work the night before at 11.30pm, she woke up with severe backache and called her sister when the pain got worse.
    Ms Gadsby, 32, who also has son Joel, 11, from a previous relationship, said: 'The aches were getting worse and worse. She asked me how I felt and I said it was as though I was in labour.
    Kelly and AlanKelly with Frankie'I then noticed a bump had formed on my stomach and knew something wasn't right.


    The news was even more of a surprise because Ms Gadsby's partner Alan (left) takes medication for Chron's disease that makes having a child risky 
    'When I got to hospital they gave me a pregnancy test and I was stunned to hear it had come back positive.'
    Ms Gadsby's partner, 35-year-old Alan Jones, was stunned to receive a phone call at work from nurses at the nearby Good Hope Hospital, Sutton Coldfield, explaining that he was going to be a father.
    He said: 'My colleagues had to pick me up from the floor. We hadn't planned the pregnancy at all. I thought it was a wind-up.
    The news was a particular surprise for Mr Jones, as he suffers from Chron's disease. Doctors had told him he may never be able to start a family because the medication he was on would make it 'too dangerous'.
    Baby Frankie with his older brother Joel, 11
    Baby Frankie with his older brother Joel, 11
    Maggie Coleman, Good Hope's maternity clinical services matron and supervisor of midwives, said Ms Gadsby's case was rare.
    She said: 'I can count on my one hand how many I have seen in my 30-year career here at Good Hope Hospital.
    'Women who may be a little taller or overweight tend to show much less [signs of pregnancy], whilst menopausal women and younger busy women who are not expecting to be pregnant will simply not be looking for signs.
    'Even a baby's kicking can be easily mistaken for indigestion.
    'In some births, such as Kelly's, babies lie with their back against their mother's back. This is called the occipito-posterior (OP) position. In this case If the baby is lying OP or 'back to your back', the pregnant bump may feel squashy and mothers may feel baby kicks in the middle of their abdomen.
    'I would like to wish Kelly and her new baby, Frankie, all the best for the future.'

    WOMAN GIVES BIRTH ON TOILET AFTER LABOUR IS MISTAKEN FOR BACK PAIN

    A new mother gave birth in her bathroom just hours after being sent home by midwives who insisted she wasn't in labour.
    Gemma Wotherspoon, 28, phoned the Penrice Hospital in St Austell, Cornwall, when she developed severe back pains on her due date. 
    But despite showing the classic signs of contractions, nurses assured her the birth was imminent and instead advised her to stay home and take paracetamol.
    Gemma Wotherspoon was told by doctors she wasn't in labour and sent home. Three hours later, she gave birth to baby Ryan in her bathroom
    Gemma Wotherspoon was told by doctors she wasn't in labour and sent home. Three hours later, she gave birth to baby Ryan in her bathroom
    When the pain got worse her husband Alistair, 30, drove her to the hospital. 
    But after being examined nurses again insisted that she was not in labour and discharged her with 'back pain'.
    She ended up giving birth just two hours after arriving back at home, while sitting on the toilet.
    Mrs Wotherspoon, from Bodmin, Cornwall, said: 'After they sent me home from hospital I tried to sleep, but by 2.30am the pain had got much worse and I couldn't get comfy. I had all the signs that I was in labour.
    'I felt the urge to push so I went to the toilet to try and ease the pain but when I realised what was happening I just sort of gave birth.
    'I shouted to Alistair to grab his head, but before I knew it Ryan was in my arms.
    'I just took one push and he was out, I had him in my arms and thankfully he was just crying and crying.
    'Alistair called the paramedics and they arrived within about seven minutes.
    'I can't believe they kept sending me away, it's shocking. Luckily we were all OK, but imagine if we weren't. It's a very scary experience.
    'I'm very angry with how I have been let down.'
    Mrs Wotherspoon later complained to the hospital, which apologised and agreed to reimburse her for any furniture damaged during the birth.


    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2282171/Mother-severe-pain-discovers-PREGNANT--gives-birth-24-hours-later.html#ixzz2LYYdDlLb 
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
    Share this article :

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment

     
    Copyright © Health Bulletin - All Rights Reserved
    Proudly powered by Blogger