Drug companies have long tried to make a drug that can fire up a woman’s libido. So far, the FDA hasn't approved any drug for that purpose.
"There is no 'one size fits all' medication for sexual dysfunction," says Bat Sheva Marcus, PhD, clinical director of the Medical Center for Female Sexuality in New York.
Still, there are effective treatments, and they don't all come in a bottle.
The first step is to find out what's going on.
What’s Causing the Problem?
When you're taking care of yourself physically and emotionally, and when you're in a good relationship, your sex drive is bound to be better than when you're not.
Some of the things that can dim women's sex drive include:
- Physical issues, including hormonal changes related to menopause or childbirth, or thyroid problems.
- Chronic stress, including in your relationship.
- Depression or other mental health issues.
- Some prescription drugs may also affect libido, including some types ofantidepressants, birth control pills, anti-anxiety drugs, and blood pressure medications.
It's usually not just one thing. These issues can affect each other.
"If you have pain during sex, for instance, over time you may develop low sexual desire," says Leah Millheiser, MD, director of the Female Sexual Medicine Program at Stanford University School of Medicine.
Reviving Your Libido
"For example, your primary care doctor may be able to address the physical aspects, but you may also benefit from relationship counseling or sex therapy," Millheiser says.
Your doctor should check your overall health, review any medications you're taking, and talk with you about what you're experiencing.
If your doctor seems uncomfortable or dismissive when you bring up your sexual problems, don't give up, Marcus says. "If possible, look for a gynecologist or a sex therapist who is knowledgeable about the physical, relationship-related, and emotional components of sexual dysfunction."
Those discussions are private.
If you need medication, doctors may consider prescribing:
- Estrogen skin creams, which can help if vaginal dryness makes sex painful. This typically happens when estrogen levels fall due to menopause orbreastfeeding.Estrogen also comes in other forms, such as a tablet or skin patch.
- ED drugs. Doctors occasionally prescribe erectile dysfunction drugs to women who have difficulty becoming aroused or reaching orgasm. These drugs boost blood flow to the genitals. But they are not likely to help someone who has a lack of desire or who can't have an orgasm, Marcus says. Women who have been through menopause may need to take supplemental testosterone for an ED drug to be effective.
- Testosterone and other androgens decline as women age. These hormones may play a role in sexual function in women just like they do in men. Inwomen with low libido just before, during, or after menopause, or in women who've had surgery to remove their ovaries, some experts suggest the use of testosterone treatment. However, there are side effects, and long-term safety studies of testosterone treatment for women are lacking.
- Wellbutrin, an antidepressant, may be prescribed to treat low sex drive in women who haven't been through menopause or if other antidepressants have affected their sex drive.
What About Supplements?
Some supplements claim to boost women’s libido, but many lack scientific proof.
"Most of the salesmanship [for those products] is based on anecdotes and testimony," says Nanette Santoro, MD, chair of the obstetrics-gynecology department at the University of Colorado School of Medicine in Aurora, Colo. Her advice: Be skeptical if there isn't evidence from a clinical trial.
Millheiser warns that supplements that include an ingredient that acts like estrogen, such as red clover, might not be safe if you're at risk for, or have had, an estrogen-sensitive cancer like some breast cancers or ovarian cancer.
Tell your doctor about any supplements you're taking, even if they're natural. That way, your doctor can check on any side effects.
Top Female Libido Pills
Chances are this isn’t the first time you’ve considered trying a daily supplement to enhance your sex life. But with so many different kinds out there, it’s hard to know what’s the genuine deal and who’s just out there to take your money. Lucky for you, we’ve done all of the hard work for you. We’ve exhaustively researched many pills widely available online.
In choosing the best pills, our criteria included:
- Expediency of results- Price versus quality- Ingredients- Customer service- Company reputation- Guarantee
Besides our own findings, we have also culled a wide range of information from scientific data we required companies to supply in order to be considered for review, as well as testimonials from women who have tried the supplements for themselves.
We’re constantly looking for the next great enhancement products for women, and will update as we come across them. Rest assured though, that we’ve found nothing out there yet that beats the supplements we’ve reviewed below. After you’re done reading these reviews, make sure to check out the pills comparison, in which we’ve constructed an easy to follow table listing each pills strengths and weaknesses.
|HerSolution™||#1As low as $32.50 per pack|
Out of every single sexual supplement that we tested and researched,HerSolution performed better than any other female enhancement supplement by quite a wide margin. Every single category from actual raw results to the manufacturing companies customer service were all tops in the industry. Because of this, it is our unanimous #1 recommended product for sexual supplement pills.
What Does HerSolution™ Do?
HerSolution provides a safe, healthy way to boost fertility and satisfaction during sex. The product does so with tried and tested ingredients from all around the world, including epimedium saggitatum (an extremely powerful sexual stimulant) and also niacin to help promote and boost energy levels. Not only does HerSolution help women to crave sex again, it also helps them to enjoy it immensely. In addition to this, it also gives you the energy to perform at your peak no matter what time of the day you choose to indulge in your sexual intercourse!
How Soon Does HerSolution™ Start Working?
HerSolution works incredibly fast, with some women reportedly noticing a difference in sexual response, enjoyment and energy in just a few days! Every woman’s overall body chemistry is different and it is important to note this, but out of all of the products on the market, HerSolution is proven to provide the quickest results – hands down!
Does HerSolution™ Have Any Side Effects?
While HerSolution thankfully does not have any negative side effects, some women actually experience an increase in their breast size. For some, this is actually a plus! This side effect occurs because the mammary glands are part of the reproductive system and HerSolution’s main function is to fortify and boost the reproductive system as a whole.
How Much Does HerSolution™ Cost?
Because the HerSolution manufacturers are so confident in their product, theyactually offer a 60 days money back guarantee! This is in addition to some really competitive and affordable prices. HerSolution also offers women the opportunity to save money in the long run by ordering multiple packs at one time. If it is your first time trying HerSolution then be sure to take note of the complete six month money back guarantee option, as it effectively ensures that the product is a high-quality one. It is, after all, our #1 recommended sexual supplement pill!